After releasing the first Android 11 DP in February 2020, Google just released the Android 11 Developer Preview 3 or Android 11 DP3 today for the latest Pixel devices. The new version of the preview software brings a new feature along with some latest tweaks to the existing features.
Android 11 DP3 is another “incremental File update” as Google finalizes APIs and features before moving on to its performance and polish. Developers are advised to release an app update that is compatible by the first beta in May and another one in June 2020, to receive feedback from consumers.
Google is making official wireless debugging in this release to eliminate the use of cables. Currently, there is a pairing code workflow to keep the capability running. Google has said that it will include a QR code scanning process in the future version of Android Studio.
Android 11 makes installing APKs over 2GB via a computer 10 times faster. Considered towards the game development, this ADB Incremental feature requires signing your app with the all-new signature scheme v4 format that is currently supported only by the Pixel 4 series (Pixel 4/4XL) due to some file system changes. All the devices that get launched with Android 11 in the coming days will have the Incremental File System feature.
Based on the developer’s feedback, DP3 gets an update to the —exit reasons API— which gives us details on why a particular application has closed — be it a user action, system kill, or a crash. Google also renamed this release with many of the data access auditing APIs:
If you are not familiar, the data access auditing allows you to tune your app to understand better regarding how the user data is accessed and from which user flows. Like, it will help you identify any unintentional access to any sensitive data either in your code or in any SDKs that you use.
The latest user-facing changes and features include:
- Status bar padding bug cuts off battery level, time on Pixel 4
- Now Google Pay works normally
- New’ auto revokes’ toggle disables app permissions if they are not used.
- Every notification (including those ongoing ones) can be dismissed.
- A new screenshot UI comes without the scrolling option.
- You can ‘undo’ removing an application from the Recents/multitasking tab.
- Now Gesture sensitivity can be independently adjusted either for right or left.
- No new data can be found using Google’s animation for ‘Battery Share’ in the new Android 11 DP3
- The recent/multitasking tab is redesigned with new buttons and bigger panels.
It is found that there are some problems with the OTAs not properly sideloading. But, on-device OTA updates are now available.
Android 11 DP3 factory images for Pixel Devices
- Pixel 2: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 2 XL: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3 XL: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3a: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 3a XL: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 4: Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel 4 XL: Factory Image — OTA