Back in March, Google put forward a schedule for Android P developer previews which implied we would be seeing Developer Preview 3/Android P Beta 2 coming out in early June. Four weeks after going into the Android Beta Program in I/O 2018, the next developer preview of Android P is rolling out now. With this launch, developers can start testing and optimizing programs with all the finalized Android P APIs and SDK. Developer Preview 3 is rolling out via OTA for Pixel devices.
Developer Preview 3 also lumps up Android P to API level 28, a new BiometricPrompt API to standardize authentication from biometric systems (for instance, fingerprint sensors and face unlock), and more.
Android P Developer Preview 3 factory images are available for the Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel two, and Pixel 2 XL, if your device is enrolled in Beta Program, you will see Android P DP3 notification soon.
To sideload factory images you need an unlocked bootloader to set up, though the OTA files may be sideloaded on a locked bootloader. Follow this step-by-step guide to install Developer Preview 3 on your device.
What’s New Android P Developer Preview 3
- Green icons in Security settings
- Date underneath time in the notification shade
- Quick reply to bundled notifications
- Downloads app renamed to Files
- Clear all button in the Recent menu
- Advancements in recent menu and gesture navigation
- BiometricPrompt API
- API Level 28 and Android 9.0
- 157 new emoji’s
- Upcoming Events and weather conditions on lock screen
We will be updating the list as soon we find them. Let us your favorite feature in Android P Developer Preview 3.