The Google Pixel XL which came out in 2016 of October with Google releasing their own hardware controlled smartphone for the first time named Pixel, The Google Pixel XL was the flagship offering from Google by running the Snapdragon 821 and Google’s algorithm-based camera which clicked beautiful pictures and was shipped with Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box and receiving the first priority updates from Google, This article will show you how to install TWRP and Root on the Google Pixel XL.
So, an official build is available for the Google Pixel XL is now available through this guide You can download the TWRP On Google Pixel XL Installing TWRP will allow you to install custom ROMs, Kernels, do Nandroid backups and restore them, and also flash Magisk to root the device. But thanks to XDA member an unofficial build of TWRP is available for Google Pixel XL.
Every major feature of the TWRP recovery work seamlessly, as listed below:
- Making Nandroid backups.
- Restoring Existing backups.
- Flashing Zips.
- Restore a bricked Android device.
- Remove all the previously existing data on an Android Device.
- Flashing Custom Firmware.
- Uphold and remove Passwords or Patterns by wiping Android.
- Mount Partitions
- Flashing Custom ROMs.
- Flashing Custom Software.
- And Many More…
With that all being said, let’s start
To ensure a successful install of TWRP, ensure to fulfill all the prerequisites properly.
- Take a complete backup of all your data, although this a safe procedure its a safe side to keep a backup of the data in any odd cases.
- In order to install TWRP, on your Google Pixel the bootloader must be unlocked, if you haven’t unlocked the bootloader yet note that Unlocking bootloader “WILL ERASE ALL THE DATA”, Including the internal storage.
- Installing TWRP on Google Pixel requires the use of fastboot so install the ADB drivers and flash boot tools.
- Also, download the USB drivers for your Google Pixel.
- And, ensure that your battery is above 80% so that it doesn’t run out of battery in the midst of installing process.
Download Google Pixel XL TWRP Recovery
Although we try our best to update the links and keep them posted, we encourage you to always check the XDA thread for the latest updates available.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Google Pixel XL
- Download the latest Google Pixel TWRP recovery image and installer zip files.
- Download ADB Drivers for your PC or MAC.
- Make a new folder and add the files and download all the files over there.
- Move the recovery image file to the folder on the PC where the ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed.
- Now power off your phone and boot it into Fastboot Mode. (Enter fastboot by pressing together “Volume down+ Power button)
- In your PC/Laptop, Open the extracted ADB Folder and Open Command Window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click.
- Now connect the PC to Mobile with USB Cable In fast boot mode.
- Now type the below command on your command window.
- To flash the recovery, type the command. (Please make sure the file is renamed as recovery.img)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img if the command is completed you have successful installled TWRP on your device
- And reboot your device.
- Now you can make a backup of your stock ROM via TWRP. (optional)
Root Google Pixel XL:
- Download Magisk.
- And place it in the internal memory or SD card on your device.
- Then go into recovery by pressing the “Volume up+Power button” simultaneously.
- Before you root make sure you have a backup of your device
- Then in TWRP select Install and find Magisk.zip and select the file.
- Swipe to Install and flash it.
- Restart your device.
That’s it, you should have now rooted the device. Search for the Magisk logo on your app drawer to confirm.
You can also install the Root Checker app to verify the root.
This is the guide on how to install TWRP and root the device and install Magisk on Google Pixel XL.